Sunday, September 22, 2019

An Act of God

Kim Wayans (God)

Kim Wayans is starring in the very irreverent An Act of God at the Bristol Riverside Theater, 120 Radcliffe Street, through October 13, 2019. Kim, well known for appearances in the sketch comedy show Living Color, is accompanied by two arch angels: Peter DeLaurier (Gabriel) is well known to Philadelphia theater audiences not only for his acting but also for his directing and playwriting and Benjamin Brown (Michael) who has also appeared in several local theatres but has a history of television appearances as well. As Kim Wayans descends the staircase from heaven she announces her rare appearance in human form and in Bristol, Pennsylvania. And so starts a love affair between the audience and God. Wayans gives a cheeky 90 minute performance refuting many Bible stories. Ridiculing the possibility that two animals of every kind could fit onto Noah’s ark (“It’s a boat, for me’s sake,” she exclaims! "I really said thou shall put 2 puppies onto the ark. They will be good support animals.”) She then proceeds to rewrite and explain most of the 10 Commandments. For example, Wayans tells the audience “Thou shalt Not Take My Name in Vain” “Don’t try to seek a personal relationship with me.” she warns. “I am not a Saints fan or a Lions, fan. I am not even an Eagles fan. I do not care who wins the game and I do not influence the games’ outcome. The same thing is true for celebrities. They try to thank me for their success. I have nothing to do with it. I don’t help one person over another.” Another interesting commandment to be noted is: “Thou shall not tell me what to do.” Wayans opines. “I am tired of hearing: ‘God Bless You,’ ‘God Bless America’, ‘God Forbid’ or ‘God Dammit’.” Angel Michael periodically runs into the audience with questions for God. Kim Wayans ends her extraordinary performance with a final commandment: "Thou Shalt Believe in Thyself." For  more information or tickets to this funny experience, call 215-785-0100 or  visit www.brtstage.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment